GENERAL INFORMATION (RIZAL)
- The Angono Artist Village, created by the Angono Artists Association, is located at the foothills of the town.
- Angono Falls
- The Ang Nuno Gallery, at Balaw-Balaw Restaurant along Manila East Rd., is a popular watering hole. It displays the paintings, sculptures, bric-a-brac and other collectibles of the late artist Perdigon Vocalan and his sons.
- Artist Village Gallery, along Dama de Noche St., is owned by local watercolorist Pepito Villaluz and showcases his unique graphic and detailed realistic paintings.
- The Blanco Family Museum of Art, at 1312 Ibañez St. in Brgy. Sto. Niño, houses the vast collection of life-size murals and original paintings of artist Jose V. Blanco and his brood of seven other painting children. The masterfully executed paintings are known for their vivid depiction of rural life and painstaking attention to detail. Lecture and guiding services are offered. Open daily, 8am-5pm. Tel: 651-0048.
- The Nemiranda Arthouse/ Artcafe, at 10 Doña Elena St., Doña Justa Village in Brgy. San Roque, showcases the local artist Nemi R. Mirandas’ art works employing figurative realism to depict rural life and subjects from local folklore. Works of his five sons are also displayed. Lectures, guiding services and painting workshops are organized on a regular basis. Tel: 651-0109-10. Fax: 451-1580.
- The Tiamson Art Gallery, at 203 Dona Nieves St., Brgy. Sto. Niño, displays various works of local painter, musician and transmedia artist Orville Tiamson. Tel: 651-0016 & 651-0175. Fax: 651-2745.
- The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception National Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage was first built from 1630 to 1633 by Jesuit Fr. Juan de Salazar, burned during the Chinese uprising of November 1639-March 1640, rebuilt by Fr. Salazar in 1637 but was destroyed during the earthquakes of 1645, 1824 and 1863. The present church was reconstructed by Msgr. Francisco Avendano and was declared a National Shrine by the bishops of the Philippines in 1954. This modern church, built on the site where the statue of the Virgin was discovered leaning against the trunk of a tipolo tree, houses the image of Nuestra Senora de la Paz y Buen Viaje (Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage). The statue was brought to Manila from Mexico by Gov.-Gen. Don Juan Niño de Tabora in 1626 and entrusted to the Jesuits at Antipolo. Declared patron saint of the Manila galleons, it made eight successful roundtrips across the Pacific to Acapulco without mishap in 1641, 1643, 1645, 1646 (on the San Luis), 1648 to 1649 (on the Encarnacion), 1650 (on the San Diego), 1651 to 1653 (on the San Javier), 1659 to 1662 (on the San Jose) and in 1746 to 1748 (on the Nuestra Señora del Pilar). The image was canonically crowned before 100,000 people on November 26, 1926 by Manila Archbishop Michael J. O’Doherty on the Luneta.
- The Our Lady of Annunciation Church Ruins, at Sitio Boso-Boso, Brgy. San Jose, are century-old ruins of the church destroyed during World War II. A small chapel was built inside for Sunday services.
- The Hinulugan Taktak Protected Landscape, along Taktak Road, in Brgy. Dela Cruz, was formerly called the Hinulugang Taktak National Park (declared as such in 1990 by virtue of Republic Act No. 6964). “Hinulugang Taktak” means “the place where the bell was dropped.” It became an integral part of the country’s system of protected areas under Republic Act No. 7586, the National Integrated Protected Areas System (NIPAS) Act of 1992. It is now under the control of the DENR by virtue of Proclamation No. 42. The park’s area has been expanded from 0.89 hectares to 3.2 hectares and it is now being reforested with kupang, acacia, ilang-ilang and mahogany trees. The park has cottages, common barbeque pits, clean public toilets and super-sized pools.
- Aradan Falls (Brgy. San Juan)
- Kaybibit Falls (Brgy. Mayamot)
- Singkalan Falls (Brgy. de la Paz)
- Mainit Springs (Brgy. San Jose)
- Inday Nelly’s Mystical Cave, at Brgy. San Luis, also called Bubukal Cave, has beautiful stalactites and stalagmites.
- Mt. Banko
- Mt. Makatubong
- Mt. Payong (Brgy. Dalig)
- Halang na Gulod
- Inaisan Area
- Pinagmisahan (Via Dolorosa, Taktak Road, Brgy. Sta. Cruz)
- Sta. Cruz Hills
- The 70-hectare Valley Golf and Country Club, along Don Celso S. Tuason Ave., Sumulong Highway, has an 18-hole, 7,097-yard, par 72 course designed by Englishman Fred Smith and a 41-hectare, 9-hole, 2,994-yard, par 36 North course. Facilities include a driving range, restaurant, bar, function rooms, swimming pool, tee houses and lockers. A private club, guests must be accompanied by members. Tel: 658-4901-03, 658-4920, 695-1652 & 695-8565-67. Fax: 658-4918.
- The Forest Hills Golf and Country Club, at Cogeo Village, Brgy. Inarawan, has an 18-hole golf course measuring 7,102 yards from the yellow tee and 6,695 yards from the blue tee. Facilities includes a modern clubhouse with all the amenities, function rooms and a tee house at Hole No. 5 with a roving cart to serve golfers on the back nine. A private club, guests must be accompanied by a member. Three days advanced registration required especially on weekends and holidays. Tel: 677-1641-43. Fax: 667-1649-50.
- The Church of St. Joseph, located on a low mound just off the main highway, is approached by a flight of steps. It was first built by the Franciscans in 1595 but was transferred by the Jesuits, after a fire in 1635, to Ibayo in 1636. The town was returned to the present site by the Franciscans in 1682 and the present adobe church was built here from 1682 to 1686. The church ceiling was removed during a renovation in the 1960s, exposing the rough wood beams supporting the ceiling. Tiles used for the restoration of the floor were taken from ruined structures in Intramuros. The convent is located beside the church.
- The World Sikaran/Arnis Brotherhood of the Philippines, at 20 Katipunan St., Brgy. San Jose, showcases the Filipino martial arts of sikaran (to kick) and arnis (stick fighting).
- Kalan-Bato Falls
- Kay Ungga Falls (Brgy. San Salvador)
- Its Church of St. Ursula has a lovely three-storey moss and lichen-covered belfry.
- Kalbaryo Hill is a shrine with a tall wooden cross. It can be reached by climbing a 119-step stairway.
- The Vicente Manansala Historical Shrine, at 73 Gloria cor. Aristorenas St., San Carlos Heights, is located at the foot of a hill. It was declared by the National Historical Commission as a historical landmark on June 1978. It houses some of the national artist's well-preserved original paintings and memorabilia. Open Mondays-Fridays, 8am-5pm. Admission is free. 652- 0380.
- The Angono Petroglyphs, located 3.5 kms. southeast of Angono, is situated on a prehistoric stone overhang at the rear recess of a cave located off a rough track on the top right area of the East Ridge Golf and Country Club near the Binangonan boundary. Situated on the hills above Binangonan town, in Sitio Pinagpala in Brgy. Tayuman, it was accidentally discovered by the late National Artist Carlos “Botong” Francisco in 1965. Severely threatened, it was declared a National Cultural Treasure on August 1973 by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 260, included in the UNESCO “World Inventory of Rock Art” in 1985 and was listed as one of the 100 most endangered sites in the world by the New York-based World Monuments Watch and the World Monuments Fund in 1987. There are 127 petroglyphs of Stone Age animals and human figures etched in volcanic tuff 1-2 cms. deep by stone knives and mortar on a rock face 63 m. wide, 8 m. deep and 5 m. high. There is no indication that colors were ever incorporated into the etchings. Dated around 1,000 BC, they comprise one of the oldest known rock artworks in the country. Located 163 m. above sea level in a place called Matandang Yungib (Old Cave), archaeological diggings at the site by the National Museum have yielded pottery shards, obsidian flakes and two chert flakes plus a polished stone adze, a stonecore tool and flakes from stone stones have been found at the cave entrance. There is now a mini-museum below the rock shelter and a wooden viewing deck for visitors. Open Mondays-Saturdays, 8am-5pm. Admission is free.
- The 80-hectare Eastridge Golf Club, at M. L. Quezon Ave., Brgy. Bilibiran, has an 18-hole, 6,960-yard, par 72 golf course. Facilities include a clubhouse with cocktail lounge, dining, function and board rooms, sauna and locker rooms. A private club, guests must be accompanied by a member. Tel: 648-7720-25. Manila booking office: Tel: (632) 635-3801-02 & 635-3291.